Monday, February 28, 2011

Revised: Staying in Line While Crossing the Line

Revision Staying in Line While Crossing the Line

     In high school I was the goody two shoes that never did anything wrong.  I didn’t drink, smoke, or swear, and I always did my homework. I never broke a rule or crossed a line, I was the perfect little Christian girl. Then the day came for me to leave the tiny town of Malakoff and move to the larger city of Huntsville. (Yes there are smaller towns than Huntsville.)
     As I rode in the car loaded down with my parents, my eldest sister, and all my crap I slowly began to realize what lay ahead as we crossed each county and city line. The almost 2 and a half hour ride gave me plenty of time to think. There would be no more mom and dad to take care of me, I had to take on that responsibility. I was capable of doing it, but was scared to death of screwing it up.  Hours later after arrival and unloading my heart started to pound harder and quicker as I watched the now empty trunk of my mother’s Rendezvous turn the corner. I was officially on my own. I imeadately called my mom on her cell and tried to hold back the tears that I'm sure she could here on the other end. My mom chuckled a little as she chocked back tears of her own and asked me if I missed her already. I admitted a raspy yes, and an I love you as she ashured me I'd be OK. I Hung up the phone now the real thinking had to begin.
     I had to decide what I was going to do now. Freedom could be a dangerous thing, I could have dove into the deep end, started partying and could have changed my general outlook on life. Deep down I knew that I would never be happy taking that path. In the borders of what seemed like a little town I had already made the most freeing and boundless decision of who I was and what I believed. I had decided to stay on a straight and narrow path years ago and my beliefs would not let me be content crossing the line of what I knew to be right and wrong. A change in location would not make me cross my moral lines. With the help of some well chosen friends and my willing participation in different organizations I did it. I stayed in line with my decisions and beliefs even had some fun and hilarious stories along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment