Thursday, February 10, 2011

Newspaper

We were told to pick our favorite of the dot or square projects, create topographical maps and use news paper to recreate it 4 different ways in 2D using the text of newspaper or magazine while playing with 3D aspects.

The 1st one I started with the dots as letters cut in a circle using the letters a,b,c in order to show continuance. then used the text of the newspapers to create a ripple effect of circles and on one ring added a flick of color. 

On this one I cut out different size circles and stacked them. I used wood glue on the surface of every other circle to create a contrast and visible layers. as I glued them the edges of the circle began to peel up and instead of fighting it I worked with it and let all of the circles have a raised tattered looking edge.

After that  I created one use strips of newspaper that I tore and starting with the thinnest strips and working up to the thicker I rolled the newspaper tightly and then let it unwind. I let the dots get taller and larger as they moved across the page. After a critique I also used the strips to create the outer circles, and created a frame with cardboard covered in newspaper. This one was probably my favorite and it was definitely 3d. Even though it was part of the 2D assignment.

The 4th one was wadded up newspaper balls flattened and stacked to create levals. After critique I decided to scrap that one and created a fifth.




On this one I covered the base with a sheet of paper and cut out circles of sky each one with less cloud.

Lastly  I created one inspired by something I saw in someone elses work. I covered the base square in one sheet of of newspaper then used twisted pieces to create the dot and ripples

Then based off of the previous pieces we created 2 3D cardboard structures. One of which we collaged and inserted found objects into and placed on the wall for our final project. The second went on our accordion books along with the original pieces.









When I created my 3D  structures I had trouble building on my rolled concept so I went another route. My final project was not as elabrate and I still liked my original rolled piece better. I didn't hang it as my final because it was one of my original, but in retrospect the rolled one was more interesting and I should have hung the it instead.

Then we made critique groups of 3 and went around and critiqued  others final project based off of  craftsmanship, concept, ambitiousness,  and overall impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment