Monday, February 14, 2011

Flossers

My found object became the flossers when my multicolored popsicle sticks were vetoed along with my marshmallows. I have to admit I'm actually excited about this project I think that it will be a lot of fun.  The first thing I noticed is that the stick end has a section that can be folded back to create a pick and this can hook on the string of the other end of another object and connect them.


They can also be hooked together by inter locking the loop end to get a kind of stacked look.






 I also found that they can hook together through the string sections and I continued the structure to add a base.





I spent hours playing with them until I finally found a structure that I'm really excited about.




The only concern I had with it is how to expand it upwards to get it to represent the mass of my body. Until I started to add on to its structure. I continued to do the same thing with the flossers until I used 12 bags of 75 flossers to create this....


these picts are for some reason stretched  and the structure is not as wide as appears

not as wide as appears

not as wide as appears


I ran into some issues of the structure wanting to come apart at various places, when it did it was not an easy task to put back together, but it was doable. I hopefully found a solution to keep it from coming apart in the future to keep the over lapping parts as close together as I can . And believe it or not this is unfinished, there is still more flossers to come and I still have to figure out how exactly I want to display it. I could have it crawling up or around something, on the floor, on a pedestal, or hanging, not sure what I want to do yet...
I'll have to do some more brainstorming and see.

Figured it out this was my final product. I decided to not have it crawl for fear of it looking like a giant snake.  I added a light inside of the work to help illuminate the negative space.

No comments:

Post a Comment