Thursday, February 10, 2011

Object








As I began looking at the magnolia blossom I began to think of all the different possibilities and meanings behind this object. I then began to come up with 3 proposals. I went through the nature=life/baby then moved onto a headdress, dress, or a spiked club. With some consultation help I decided to go with the headdress. I spent the rest of the afternoon producing sketches to  help figure out the construction aspect of this sculpture.

I started out creating the main structure of the cardboard using circles of cardboard  that sat inside each other at angles to form the base arced structure.



Then I cut out the spikes and curled them like I saw on my original object. After that I had to face the issue of it being back heavy and not wanting to stay on my head. 1st I tried to attach chin straps but they started to tear under the weight of all the card board. Finally I inserted a stack of cardboard into the top of the headdress to make a buffer on my forehead to keep the headdress on. This worked great until I had to leave it on for a longer period time and it ended up leaving a bruise on my forehead.


 
I wanted to take the time to add in some more textural elements, but due to time restraints I was only able to add some hot glue dots on the stem to create the bumps.

In the critique I was told that I needed to shape/taper the end cylindrical piece instead of just letting it be cutoff. My performance was also lacking. A positive point was that the piece curved with the shape of my head and I got high marks for process.

Overall I wish that I had been able to dedicate more time. Unfortunately I was a week behind on getting started on the project. So while the final piece wasn't exactly what I would have liked to have accomplished I was pleased with the end result.

By Geoffrey Rascher 
        By Geoffrey Rascher

No comments:

Post a Comment