Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Visualize, dang it, just visualize!

In this exercise I came up with a list of 15 objects, living and nonliving. Then visualized them and tried to see if I could figure out my personal visualization pattern and tendency.
The list:
  Dr. Pepper can, car tire, Julia, cup, mom, dishwasher, bed, pillow, dirty clothes hamper, flute, metronome, wallet, calculator,  Mitzy (my old cat), Sophia (my roommates dog)

I noticed as I was visualizing that it was harder for me to visualize these objects stationary. Even when I was trying to see them motionless I caught myself viewing them while moving.
 After the visualization exercise I answered the following questions.
  1. Are you better at visualizing people than objects? Or worse?
    What seems to be mentally different?
  2. Are you better at two-dimensional objects than three-dimensional? How so?
  3. Where do you see your image?
  4. Is it out in front of your eyes or back in your skull somewhere or somewhere else?
  5. What is brought to bear in these instances is a keen sensitivity to a non-modular perceptivity of sense-data. Why might this be important in your field?
 I am better at visualizing objects than people. When I'm around people I'm more concerned with my interaction with them, rather than the visual presence. Therefore I find it more difficult to recall the details of the person's appearance.
All of the objects I chose where 3D but when i did visualize a 2D object I didn't really notice a difference.
I see my  image in the same setting that I see it everyday. If it was a cup I saw it on a table, if it was a tire I saw it on my car.
Most of the time the image that I came up with was in front of me almost as if I could reach in and interact with the picture, again always in the same setting that I always see it, from the same angle I always see.
Art is sensual. It is important as an artist to use ones own senses to figure out how to express the senses through their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment